MediaPortal is a free open source media center software, often considered as an alternative to Windows Media Cente, that is ideal for turning your PC into an advanced multimedia center, or Home Theater PC (HTPC). It allows you to listen to your favorite music and radio, watch your videos and DVDs, or view, schedule and record live TV, much like a digital video recorder (such as TiVo) and much more...
MediaPortal provides a 10-foot user interface for performing typical PVR/TiVo functionality, including playing, pausing, and recording live TV; playing DVDs, videos, and music; viewing pictures; and other functions. Plugins allow it to perform additional tasks, such as watching online video, listening to music from online services such as Last.fm, and launching other applications such as games.
The MediaPortal designed specifically for Microsoft Windows. Its source code was initially forked from XBMC (now Kodi Media Center), though it has been almost completely re-written since then.
Note: you need to make sure you have Microsoft .NET Framework 4 installed on your computer.
MediaPortal Key Features:
- Advanced multimedia center
- Listen to music and radio
- Watch, schedule, and record live TV - like a TiVo, but more
- Play videos, movies, DVDs and Blu-ray discs
- Enjoy pictures, home videos or create a slideshow
- Stream media, radio, and TV to any HTPC / PC connected to your network
- Use a remote to control your HTPC from your couch
- Access MediaPortal from the web or mobile device
- Check the weather, news, and more
- Hundreds of plugins and skins
- Built-in RSS reader