PlanetSide 2 is a free-to-play massively multiplayer online first-person shooter (MMOFPS) published by Daybreak Game Company. It is a sequel of PlanetSide which originally was released in 2003. As in the first PlanetSide, PlanetSide 2 chronicles the efforts of three factions as they fight for territorial control of the planet Auraxis.
PlanetSide 2 is a re-imagining of PlanetSide, featuring the same world and factions, and taking place at roughly the same time period. As in the previous game, it features territory control in an open-world, large battles featuring up to 2000 players per continent on foot or in land/air vehicles. The territory system differs greatly from that of the original, being more free-form and based on a hexagonal territory control system.
PlanetSide 2 offer across to four huge maps, players come together in enormous battles to win control of critical territories and key resources for their Empire. With an extensive skill tree and free-form class-based system, players customize their soldier, weapons, and vehicles to match their play-style, as well as the needs of their squad, outfit or Empire. The world of PlanetSide 2 is massive and persistent with every soldier capable of making a difference.
Play as one of six distinct classes:
- Heavy Assault – Rush into the battle ahead, guns blazing. You are the dedicated foot soldier of Auraxis.
- Light Assault – Go where the Heavies can’t with your short-burst jetpack. Pick a high spot, throw a grenade and surprise your foes!
- Combat Medic – Keep your fellow soldiers healed- it’s your job to revive fallen comrades.
- Infiltrator – Stealthy and silent, you are death from the shadows. Whether you choose a knife from behind or a single shot from sniper’s nest, you are the enemy’s greatest fear.
- Engineer – A crucial support class with the ability to repair important gear including vehicles, terminals, and turrets. Engineers can drop their own shielded turret and mow down advancing troops.
- MAX – Heavily armored, cannons for hands, and a disposition to match, you are the ruler of the battlefield and a walking mass of armored death.
PlanetSide 2 won several awards at E3 2012. IGN awarded it "Best MMO Game" and "Best PC Game", GameSpy awarded it "Best Shooter", "Best Free to Play" and "Best PC Exclusive", and from PC Gamer, "Best Shooter", "Best MMO", "Best of Show" and "Most Awards Received".
Release Date: 20 Nov, 2012