Chromium is an open-source web browser project started by Google, that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way to experience the web. Its name might sound familiar as the popular web browser "Google Chrome" uses its source code, It's actually a lighter version of Chrome.
Chromium released and maintained by the "The Chromium Project", consisting of Google developers and community volunteers, to provide the source code for the proprietary Google Chrome browser. The two browsers share the majority of code and features, though there are some minor differences in features, logos and they have different licensing.
Google's intention, as expressed in the developer documentation, was that it would be the name of the open-source development project and that the final product's name would be Chrome; however, other developers have taken the It's code and released versions under the Chromium name.
One of the major aims of the project is for the browser to be a tabbed window manager, or shell for the web, as opposed to it being a traditional browser application. The application is designed to have a minimalist user interface. The developers state that it "should feel lightweight (cognitively and physically) and fast.
What’s the Difference Between Chromium and Chrome - Chrome adds the following features?
- An auto-update system called GoogleUpdate
- Integrated PPAPI version of Adobe Flash Player.
- Media codecs to support H.264 and AAC formats.
- Support for the Widevine DRM module.
- A restriction that disables extensions not hosted on the Chrome Web Store (for Windows users on all Chrome channels)
- An opt-in option for users to send Google their usage statistics and crash reports.
- RLZ tracking when Chrome is downloaded as part of marketing promotions and distribution partnerships. This transmits information in encoded form to Google, including both when—and from where – Chrome was downloaded.
- Prior to version 47: built-in PDF viewer and print preview.
Chromium Key Features
- Fast and Lightweight
- Minimalist user interface
- Automatic Updates
- Incognito Mode
Last Update: August 13, 2017
Current Version: 62.0.3185.0
License: Open Source
Languages: Multiple Languages
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 (32-Bit, 64-Bit)
Developer: The Chromium Team