Microsoft’s Visual Studio Code is a lightweight but powerful source code editor, available for Windows Mac and Linux OS. It’s a development environment for viewing, editing, building and debugging modern web and cloud applications. It’s an alternative and competitor to Atom, and Sublime Text text editors.Like many other code editors, VS Code adopts a common user interface and layout of an explorer on the left, showing all of the files and folders you have access to, and an editor on the right, showing the content of the files you have opened.
Help for Beginners: Begin your journey with VS Code with these introductory videos. The videos are designed to give you a quick overview of the various features of VS Code.VS Code is free for private or commercial use. It’s required .Net Framework 4.5.2 or above to function properly.
- Streamlined Debugging
- Simple user interface
- Robust and extensible architecture
- Intelligent Code Completion
- Code Navigation and Refactoring
- In-Product Source Control
- Extensible and customizable.
- Git commands built-in
- Open Source
Download Visual Studio Code Installer
Download for Windows x64
Download for Mac OS X
Download for Linux
Download Visual Studio Code Portable
Download for Windows x64
Last Update: December 15, 2021
Current Version: 1.63.2
English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish.
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 (32-Bit, 64-Bit)
Mac OS X 10.9 or later
Developer: Microsoft Corporation
- Large file support – Improved performance for large files, no size limit on 64-bit machines.
- 64-bit Windows builds – Use your computer’s full address space with the 64-bit builds.
- Find in Markdown preview – Full search for Release Notes, Markdown preview, and Extensions.
- Auto-indent, Emmet 2.0 on by default – Source code auto-indenting and new Emmet support.
- Custom syntax highlighting – Easily adjust editor colors to your liking.
- Terminal environment variables – Preconfigure the Integrated Terminal environment.
- Color picker UI – Quickly create colors in your CSS, SASS, and Less files.
- Loaded Scripts Explorer – Easily review and step through loaded scripts during Node.js debugging.
- Markdown preview plugins – Add styles, scripts or plug-ins to Markdown previews.
- code.visualstudio.com updates – Tutorials for React, Angular and deploying Node.js to Azure.
- Preview: Multi-root workspaces – Settings and debug configurations across multiple projects (Insiders build).