Looking to improve your web development productivity? You have got to the right place! Look around for essential or interesting free web development tools (web dev tools) suitable for both beginners and professional users (webmasters, developers, marketers, designers, and system administrators), that will help you to improve your productivity, boost creativity, and learn how to become a better developer. Moreover, most of the services listed here will save you a lot of time and money.
We cover many types of tools on our list and for each one, we tried to give at least three different options, so you'll pick the one who you find the most suitable for you. It's including Website Speed Test and Performance Optimization, DNS Analysis, SSL Test, Security Checkers, Code Validators, Cross-Browser Compatibility Testing, Online IDE, and more...
These tools allow you to test and debug (including simulating user browsing), improve your code, and make it error-free (HTML, CSS, JS), which will result in a better user experience. This article won't give you an answer to what are the best web development tools on the web, for that you'll need to find out yourself by testing each one individually. But for sure, you should know about these web development services!
While building this website over the years, we used some tools listed below, and we wanted to share them with you too! We also have other collections of free useful tools: Free SEO Tools or Free Web Design Tools and Resources.
Did you know? browsers free built-in tools!
- Firefox – F12 Web Console / Browser Console (since Firefox 4)
- Google Chrome (and other browsers built on Chromium) – Chrome Developer Tools (DevTools).
- Internet Explorer – F12 Web Developer Tools (since version 8)
- Legacy Microsoft Edge (EdgeHTML) – F12 Web Developer Tools
- New Microsoft Edge (Chromium) – Edge Web Developer Tools (DevTools)
- Opera – Opera Dragonfly
- Safari – Safari Web Development Tools (since version 3)
Free Website Builders
- WIX - A powerful yet easy-to-use drag-and-drop website builder for free. Choose your design from 500+ ready-to-use responsive templates. Uses by 140+ million users around the world.
- Weebly - A powerful yet simple free drag-and-drop website building service.
- WebFlow - A powerful website building platform to simply create a website penny-free. Over 40 million users.
- Site123 - A modern platform to build custom websites fast with just a few clicks. 250+ templates available.
- IMCreator (XPRS) - A free web site builder to craft and publish free websites.
- WordPress - One of the world’s most popular website builders/CMS (Content Management System).
- Google Sites - Very simple tool from Google to build free websites without the need to know programming languages.
- Carrd.co - A free website building platform to craft a one-page websites.
- Ucraft Website Builder - A free professional block-based website builder.
- Strikingly - A free website building service to create, design and publish free websites with no coding or design skills.
Website Speed Test & Performance Optimization
- Google PageSpeed Insights - An free online tool from Google that will help you to get your webpage run faster. This tool will give you insights for both desktop and mobile versions.
- Web.Dev - Test your website performance. Then, get suggestions how to optimize your website speed.
- GTmetrix - A popular tool that analyzes your webpages and give you a detailed overview on your website performance.
- Pingdom - An advanced tool to analyze the performance of your websites.
- GF.Dev - Get an insights on how fast your site loads.
- WebPagetest - Run a free website speed audit.
- Uptrends - Test your website performance in the latest versions of most popular browsers.
- YellowLab - A free tool to detect performance and front-end code quality issues.
- Varvy SEO Pagespeed - Find out what is slowing down your site.
- Dotcom-Monitor - Test your website speed from multiple locations worldwide.
- GiftofSpeed - Offer website speed test tools, and techniques to optimize page speed.
- KeyCDN Website Speed Test - A full-page speed test that can be performed from 14 different locations around the world.
- KeyCDN Performance Test - Analyze your website performance (load times) on multiple areas across the globe.
- Sucuri Performance Test - Find how long it takes to connect to your site and for one page to fully load.
- Hubspot Website Grader - A free tool from Hubspot to check your website speed and get recommendations how to improve it.
- Bitcatcha Server Speed Checker - Check what is your web hosting server response time.
- ByteCheck - Check the responsiveness of your webserver and network resources.
- BatchSpeed - A free tool to perform multiple Google PageSpeed Insights tests and easily identidy slow pages on your website.
All-In-One Website Analysis Tools
- DareBoost (Free Plan) - A comprehensive yet easy-to-use all-in-one website quality analysis and performance optimization tool. Get an audit of your website's quality with a lot of advanced optimization tips. Both web and SEO professionals can found it very useful. Free plan offers 5 test per month.
DNS Analysis Tools
- DNS-Map DNS Propagation Check - DNS lookup service for checking domain name server records against a randomly selected list of DNS servers in different corners of the world.
- Check-Host DNS - DNS checking is very usefull for monitoring domain of any website. It gets an entry for hostname or IP from nameservers in different countries at one time.
- ViewDNS - View a complete report on the DNS settings for your domain.
- DNS.Computer - Generate DNS audit for your domain.
- WhatsMyDNS - Perform a DNS lookup to check a domain names current IP address and DNS record information against multiple name servers located in different parts of the world.
- DNSChecker.ORG - Free DNS lookup service for checking domain name server records against a randomly selected list of DNS servers in different corners of the world.
SSL Certificate Testers
- SSLShopper SSL Checker - diagnose problems with your SSL certificate installation.
- Qualys SSL Test - Deep analysis of the configuration of any SSL web server on the public Internet. Get a ranking on your SSL.
- ImmuniWeb SSL Security Test - Web Server SSL Test, SSL Certificate Test and more.
- HTTPCS SSL Test - Check if your SSL Certificate is valid.
- GeoCerts SSL Checker - Verify that your SSL certificate is installed correctly on your server.
Security/Domain Reputation/Trust Checkers
- Google Transparency Report - Safe Browsing is a service that Google's security team built to identify unsafe websites across the web and notify users of potential harm.
- VirusTotal - Analyze suspicious files and URLs to detect types of malware, automatically share them with the security community.
- Quttera Website Malware Scanner - Check your website for malware and vulnerability exploits online.
- Sucuri Malware Scanner - Check website for known malware, viruses, blacklisting status, website errors, and out-of-date software, and malicious code.
- ImmuniWeb Website Security Test - GDPR & PCI DSS Test, Website CMS Security Test and more.
- UpGuard Website Security Scan - Free Website Security Test. Get a free risk assessment of that website.
- Mozilla Observatory - Scan your site and learn how to configure their sites safely and securely.
- Web Of Trust - for safety checks on any website based on community ratings, reviews, and ML algorithms.
- Norton Safe Web community - Reputation service from Symantec. Get your site ranked by the Norton Team.
- SiteSafety By TrendMicro - Analayze your website with one of the largest domain-reputation databases in the world.
- URLVoid - This service helps you detect potentially malicious websites. Analyze a website through 30+ blacklist engines.
- IPVOID - Check if a domain name is classified as potentially malicious or phishing by multiple well-known domain blacklists like ThreatLog, PhishTank, OpenPhish, etc.
- Security Headers - Get a security report of your headers.
- Webbkoll - helps you check what data-protecting measures a site has taken to help you exercise control over your privacy.
- BeagleSecurity (Free Plan) - Discover security issues on your website. The free plan offers only one test per month.
Responsive Testing Tools
- ReadyMobi - Check if your website mobile ready.
- Responsinator - Check if your website is responsive.
- Google Mobile Friendly Test - Check if your webiste is mobile friendly.
- Responsive Design Checker - Check how responsive is your website.
- Screenfly - Test your website on any screen size including desktops, tablets, televisions, and mobile phones.
- Chameleon - Chrome extension that lets you quickly view the responsiveness of your web app in multiple device viewports.
- Viewport Resizer - Responsive testing chrome extension to easily test your website responsiveness.
- Responsive Viewer - A responsive design testeing chrome extension to check your website responsiveness on multiple screens once.
Cross-Browser Compatibility Testing
- BrowserShots - Generate screenshots of over 200 different browsers.
- Browserling - Cross-browser testing tool to test your website with most popular browsers.
- IE NetRenderer - A free screenshot service.
- Sauce Labs - Testing service to check websites compatibility across multiple browsers.
- LambdaTest (Lite Free Plan) - Perform Live Interactive and Automated Cross Browser Testing on 2000+ Real Browsers and Operating Systems Online.
Code Manipulation and Optimization Tools
- Official Clean-CSS - The official browser-compatible build of Clean-CSS - a CSS compression tool. This service only works by uploading css files to the server.
- Adamburgess Clean-CCS - Another online CSS minification tool that is powered by Clean-CSS to minimize CSS source code.
- Minifier.org - Reduce the size of your JS and CSS files. Powered by Matthiasmullie minify solution.
- CCSMinifier - CSS compression tool.
- UglifyCSS - CSS minifier tool based on UglifyCSS engine (a port of YUI Compressor to NodeJS for its CSS part).
- CSSO (CSS Optimizer) - A CSS compressor online tool which is powered by CSSO v4 engine. It will compact/minify your CSS code by cleaning redundant definitions, merging declarations or rulesets, shorting forms and more.
- Kangax HTMLMinifier - Free advanced HTML minifing tool to compress HTML code by removing unnecessary code.
- CleanCSS JSON Minifier - An online tool to minify your JSON code
Find Unused CSS codeIdentify unused CSS definitions in your stylesheets and remove them. You can also use Chrome Developer Tools to find unused CSS.
- Unused-CSS - Detect unused CSS on your website.
- JitBit UnusedCSS - Scan your website for unused CSS selectors.
- UnCSS-Online - Remove unused CSS from your stylesheets.
- PurifyCSS-Online - Find and remove unused CSS code from your website. this tool is based on PurifyCSS.
Code Formatters/BeautifiersFree tools to beautify, deobfuscate and format your code, making it readable.
- CodeBeautifier - Free CSS Formatter and Optimizer based on csstidy 1.3.
- W3C Markup Validation Service - This validator checks the markup validity of Web documents in HTML, XHTML, SMIL, MathML, etc.
- Validator.nu - HTML5 Validator.
- FreeFormatter - Validates the HTML string/file for well-formedness and compliance with w3c standards.
- W3C CSS Validation Service - Validates Check Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and (X)HTML documents with style sheets.
- JSONLint - A free tool to validate JSON code.
- Can I use - Up-to-date browser support tables.
- Regex101 - A free online regex tester to debug regular expressions.
- Debuggex - Test your regex by visualizing it with a live editor.
- IHateRegex - Find Ready-Made Regex Patterns.
- Regexr - Free online tool for building and testing regular expressions.
- Pythex - Free regex debugger for Python.
- DiffChecker - An advanced online comparison tool to find the differences between two text, pdf, or image files.
- jsDelivr - A public, open-source CDN developed to provide secure and fast way to serve open-source third party libraries on websites.
- Cdnjs - A free and open source content distribution network that is powered by Cloudflare to serving third party JS libraries. Supports HTTP/3, HTTP/2, QUIC, SPDY, HSTS & HTTPS. Host almost 4000 libraries.
- PageCDN - A free public CDN for serving third party libraries to accelerate website load-time.
- Yandex CDN - Yandex is a large Russian internet company that also provides CDN services for third party libraries. It is great for russian customers.
- BootstrapCDN - Recommended CDN for Bootstrap, Font Awesome and Bootswatch.
- CloudFlare (Free Plan) - Popular free CDN that will speed up your website and improve its security. The CDN is powered by 200 datacenters in more than 100 countries. It is also include DDoS attack mitigation, content caching, and support for HTTP/2 & HTTP/3. It's used by major online businesses such as Zendesk, IBM, Mozilla, Yelp, Reddit and supporting approximately 25 million internet properties.
- Cloudinary (Free Plan) - CDN service that will serve and manage the media assets (images and videos) of your website and deliver them with high performance.
- ImageKit (Free Plan) - Image CDN service to deliver images on your website. You can also optimize the size of your images, resize, and more. The free plan provides unlimited requests and transformations, 20GB media library storage, and up to 20GB bandwidth per month.
Web-based IDEs and Code Editors
- jsFiddle - Playground for web developers, an online editor for web snippets. Helps to isolate bugs.
- CodeSandbox - An online code editor tailored for web applications.
- MyCompiler - An online IDE to edit, compile and run code. supported languages include: Java, C, C++, C#, Ruby, Python and more...
- DB-Fiddle - A real-time SQL database playground for testing, debugging and sharing SQL snippets.
Free Website Monitoring
- StatusCake (Free Plan) - A freemium service that offers website uptime (5-min interval), and page speed monitoring for free.
- Cula.io (Free Plan) - A freemium service that notifies you about website downtime. Free plan offers 2-min interval, and up to 50 URLS.
- PingPing.io (Free Plan) - An uptime monitoring tool to get notfied when a website is down or when a SSL certificate got invalid. Free plan offers monitoring of two websites every 30 seconds.
- Hexometer (Free Plan) - A website health monitoring tool thats offers automatic uptime, broken links, JS error, security vulnerabilities, and page speed monitoring.
- UpTimeRobot (Free Plan) - An uptime monitoring service tool to detect when your website is down. Free plan is limited to 2 monitors.
- Barkby (Free Plan) - Easy-to-use monitoring of website uptime, as well as customizable and fast status pages. Free plan is limited to 5-minutes checks and 50 monitors.
- Raileo (Free Plan) - An easy monitoring tool to track your website uptime, SSL certificate expiry, page speed, SEO and a lot more. Free plan is limited to monitor one website.
- VisualPing (Free Plan) - Useful monitoring tool to track your pages for any visual or text changes and automatically send an email when it found one. Free plan is limited to two pages per day and 65 checks per month.
- DomainFox (Free Plan) - A domain expiry monitoring platform that will alert you when via email, SMS, or slack you domain has expired. The free plan is limited to one domain only.
Web Development Communities
- StackOverFlow - A trusted and popular global web development community with over 4.7 million programmers ready to assist you with your programming issues.
- FrontEndFront - Feed of articles from front-end developers. Share your work, or intersting coding stuff with the world or ask questions related to front-end develoment.
- SitePoint Forums - Feed of articles from front-end developers. Share your work, or intersting coding stuff with the world or ask questions related to front-end develoment.
- WebDeveloper.com Forums - A community where you can discuss with others developers to become a better developer and extend your programming skills.
- CoderWall - Web development discussion to get coding tips, inspired by others projects, or find solutions to coding bugs.
- FreeCodeCamp - A global web development community to learn how to code, or solve coding problems.
Cookies Management and Monitoring
- CookieMetrix (Free Plan) - See which cookies are installed on your website and find out if your website comply with the EU Cookie Law policy. Results presented might not be 100 % correct.
- SiteChecker Cookie Checker - Free simple website cookie checker that shows you which cookies your website use.
- CookieBot (Free Plan) - Free website cookie checker tool to verify if your website cookies is compliant with the EU Cookie Laws.
- CookieYes (Free Plan) - An advanced cookie consent solution that add a cookie banner to your website with automatic script blocking. Free plan is limited to 5000 consent logs per month and 100 pages per website scan.
- CookieServe - Free cookie checker tool to find out which cookies are used by your website.
- CookieFirst (Free Plan) - A cookie consent management service to show a detailed cookie banner on your website that compliant with the GDPR, LGPD and CCPA.
- CookieConsent - Free cookies management tool to create a cookie consent that comply with GDPR and ePrivacy Directive.
- 2GDPR - Free cookies audit and cookie banner builder to create a cookie consent banner based on Osano's script. You can also run a cookie audit to your website on homepage.
- Osano - A cookie consent management solution to easily manage your privacy compliance. The free plan is limited to 5,000 visitors per month, one website and one domain. This service also provide a free website privacy audit or open source cookie consent popup for your website.
Search Code/Source Code Search Engines
- SearchCode - Search the web for functions, code snippets, API's and libraries in 240+ languages across 10+ public code sources (over 40 million projects).
- Sourcegraph (Free Plan) - A source code search engine for developers that support searching codes on more than 500,000 repositories such as GitHub, Azure DevOps, AWS CodeCommit.
- PrivacyTerms.io - Generate a free privact policy statement for your websites or apps.
- WebsitePolicies (Free Plan) - Generate professional legal documents for your website using a questionnaire wizard. Free plan is limited in features and require you to give an attribution.
- GetTerms (Free Plan) - Create a basic free policy for personal use.
- TermsFeed (Free Plan) - Generate legal agreements for your website.
- Auto Terms Wordpress Plugin - A free wordpress plugin to create legal pages using a simple wizard.
- ChangeTower (Free Plan) - A website change detection tool to track visual changes and get alerts.
- SeoBility's Redirect Check - Discover SSL or WWW redirect problems in your website.
- TextMechanic - Find and Replace Text.
- PineTools - Free text tools such as removing duplicate/empty lines, remove unnecessary white, find and replace text and more.
- Favicon.cc - A tool to create or download favicon.ico icons.
- RealFavIconGenerator - A free favicon generator for all platforms.
- FavicoMatic - Generate favicon for all sizes including iOS, Android, Metro & more.
- Whats My Browser Size - Find out what is your browser size.
- BuiltWith - Find out what websites are Built With.
- HTTPStatus - Easily check status codes, response headers, and redirect chains.
- AskApache HTTP Headers - An HTTP Request Debugger.
- SeoBook Server Header Checker - Show Server Headers for a Webpage.
- KeyCDN HTTP Header Checker - HTTP Header Checker tool by KeyCDN to perform an online curl test.
- SpriteGen - Free CSS sprite generator. sprite is used to combine multiple images into one image and use CSS properties to display the different images. It is helpful to reduce the number of HTTP requests resulting in increased website performances
- htaccessRedirect - .htaccess Generator. You can create rewrites to www, 301 redirects, handle caching, prevent hotlinking and more.
That's it! if you have any suggestions please feel free to contact us by email. Hope we helped you!